Thursday, March 21, 2013

Happy World Down syndrome Awareness Day 2013!

Happy World Down syndrome Awareness Day 2013!



Down syndrome is not a curse, it is a true blessing.  Children with Down syndrome bring great joy to their families and friends. 
Whenever we take Claudia somewhere, to friends houses or to her various appointments everyone loves her.  People are amazed at her abilities.  She may only be functioning at the level of a 12-15 month old in many categories. but she is one smart cookie! 
Yesterday Claudia had her evaluation for the school district.  She qualifies for many services and will benefit greatly from them.  We look forward to getting her therapies started.The therapists were amazed yesterday that Claudia could put her socks on all by herself.  She has come such a long way since we met her on January 11th!  I am excited to see how fast she progresses with therapy.
The last few weeks have been such a blessing for me as I have not had school.  I have been able to stay at home and bond more with Claudia.  I am seeing progress made every day.  Claudia actually likes to walk to people now and will initiate it.  It used to be that she did not like nay exercise at all, she would only walk if we made her and even then it did not last long.  Now every time I try to take a picture of her standing up, she walks to me lol.  She is learning how to play by herself for short periods of time without any negative stimulating behaviors.  This is nice as it allows me to get small things done around the house without worrying about her in her room for a little while.  She still loves her elephant that blows balls from his nose.  She still throws everything and in ways it is getting worse as she won't hold her sippy cup without throwing it as soon as she takes a drink...  but she is learning to play ith her toys a little more.  For example, here is a video, taken today of her first time actually interacting with this toy in an appropriate manner by herself.  Go Claudia go!!!




Claudia is a HAM!  She is always making me laugh.  I love her so much!  I really don't want to go back to school next week.  But I will graduate in less than 2 months!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment