Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Trip #1, Part 7

This post is about my last day in country, my last day visiting Chane.
When I went into the baby room that morning Chance was asleep in his chair. It took him a minute or two to really wake up. After he was awake I got to feed him a biscuit (rather than his usual pureed food).  According to the Sisters, Chance was unable to chew anything just a week ago (I'm not sure if this is true, or just what they thought). After playing for a little while, I fed him his lunch. Chance was full of it that morning. He kept spitting his food out/blowing raspberries with it and laughing. He'd only done that once or twice before when I fed him, and then it was only once at each feeding.  This time it was nearly every bite!  He is a funny guy and I'm glad he found something amusing! After his lunch we played and relaxed until it was time for his nap.
After the visit I went back to my apartment, ate some leftovers, started packing and took a little nap before my second visit.  I had to get some energy so that I didn't have a complete breakdown when I had to say good-bye.
When I went into the room for the second visit, I touched Chance's shoulder to get his attention, he looked up, saw me and gave me a nice, big smile. My heart melted.  I hate how just as he is getting to know me and recognize me, I have to leave him for several months.  It is not fair to the children!  We played together for a while and also played with some of the other babies. Later I gave Chance his afternoon tea in his bottle and he fell asleep in my arms. I love that he was so comfortable with me. I then put him in his crib for a nap. I stayed for a little while longer playing with the other children and then I got ready to go. One of the Sisters woke Chance up for dinner and I said goodbye to him. I can't wait to see that smiling face again and to hear is laugh.
In the week I was in country, I saw some changes in Chance. I think he is able to stand for a bit longer now than he was a week ago. He also interacted more with me by the end of the visit. One of the Sisters said that he seems more alert and aware. I can only hope that he keeps up his progress.
After I left the orphanage, I got to meet up with another adoptive mother who just flew in that afternoon. We had a nice dinner together, got to know one another a bit and then i had to go back to my apartment, finish packing and take another quick nap. I left my apartment at 1am to catch my 3am flight back home.

It has been 7 and a half weeks since I last saw my children.  Each day without news on the children or news of progress in our case wears on me.  I wonder all the time how Callie is doing, what she is thinking, if she thinks of me often. I wonder if Chance is standing on his own yet, if he continues to progress to eat more solid foods.  I wonder how much longer until I get to see them again.  Please pray that we get news soon!

We still have our matching grant ongoing.  We need $846 more to hit the match.  If you feel led, please consider donating towards our adoption.  You may do so here: http://reecesrainbow.org/69430/sponsorvanhalle-2 


1 comment: