Sunday, January 12, 2014

Metcha Day

One year ago yesterday (January 11th) we met Claudia for the first time. It was an incredible and emotional day. Our awesome translator/hotel owner Patrice drove us to the ICBF office in Pasto, Colombia. We passed armed guards on the way in.

Jason and I had a meeting with the social worker, psychologist and a few other people. We were asked several questions about why we wanted to adopt and learned about Claudia's routine. We also learned that she was the last of several kids with SN's to be adopted. Everyone there was very excited for Claudia to be getting a family. I got a little teary eyed a couple of times during the meeting, knowing she was behind the door in the room next to us!

When it was finally time for them to bring her in, they had us stand up and told us that she would be handed to me first. In came our little chubby girl in the outfit we had sent for her. They handed her to me... Off went my glasses, onto the floor, my hair was quickly pulled and I got smacked a few times. Claudia looked at me like: "Who are you and why are you trying to hold me? I don't LIKE to be held." She was handed to Jason, who admittedly had not held many children in his life. Off went his glasses. She REALLY did not like to be held, especially by strangers! She was give her doll which she promptly threw on the floor. Claudia was placed on the floor to play so we could watch and interact with her. She was not happy, that is until they brought out the potato chips! They opened a bag of chips and she settled down quite a bit. She even offered Jason and myself some once or twice. Every tie I tried to touch her, she recoiled. It was clear, this was NOT going to be easy.

Don't believe the rumors that people with Down syndrome are always happy and loving. They are people, they have a full range emotions just like you and I. Claudia was not happy to see us, she was not a cuddly love bug.

We were scared.



 
 
 

 
 
Here is a video of part of our meeting, please don't mind my ridiculous facial expressions, it was a bit overwhelming.  The thoughts going through my mind... well, you can see me putting on my best smile although I was terrified at that moment!   You will also see Claudia pulling away from my touch, and giving me the stink eye! 
 
 
 
 I don't think she had her nap that day, she fell asleep in my arms in the car on the ride back to the hotel, despite the VERY bumpy ride. 


We put her down for a nap when we got back to the hotel and she slept well.  We later took her to the store to buy some food and diapers, it was pretty uneventful but she liked the stroller and loved the bumpy ride.  We opted to do dinner in our room so we could work on bonding.  We were told at the meeting that she could feed herself... they failed to tell us she could not use utensils and makes a huge mess when she eats!  She loved dinner though and we got some real smiles out of her.  Yep, she loves to eat (then and now)!

 



 Bed time was not easy, she cried quite a bit, not as much the first night as the next several.  She was grieving the loss of her foster family, of the only life she had known for 3 years.  Now she was stuck with strangers that really did not speak her language at all and did not always know her wants and needs.
 
 

 
Something curious to note, she came to us with her hair in two small french braids with nothing to hold them in except a TON of hair product.  Needless to say, getting her hair brushed out that first night was not an easy task.
 
These stories and pictures were all from one year ago yesterday.  It is hard to believe it has already been a year since we met her, but at times it feels like it has been much longer.  Claudia has made such great progress in this past year.
 

Smiles!

Pretend Play!
 
Cuddling with mommy when feeling sick!

Interactive play!

HUGS!

 
While we celebrate her one year Metcha Day, I can't help but wonder how her foster family is feeling.  Claudia lived with them for 3 years, almost to the day.  I know that they loved her.  I thank them for caring for her to the best of their abilities.  I hope that they are happy for her finally having a forever family.
 
 
 
We look forward to providing Chance with this same love and pray that he is being cared for in his orphanage.  Orphanage life can be much more difficult than living in a foster home.  Pray for his safety, that he is being loved on, and that our process will be quick and smooth.  Thank you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment